Note: We are currently posting the top 5 posts of 2012, this week through Jan. 1. This post is #3 on the list and was originally published Feb. 3, 2012.
These days, it’s hard to find a business conference or read a publication that doesn’t talk about big data. Even the recent World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, featured more than 40 presentations on this hot technology. Because of all the recent talk, many people think big data is new. While it’s true that big data is suddenly gaining more attention, we at IBM have been investing in this space for many years, and are confident that we have the strongest strategy and deepest solution offering on the market. Now, an independent research firm has validated our belief.
IBM was among the select companies that Forrester invited to participate in The Forrester Wave™: Enterprise Hadoop Solutions, Q1 2012, (February 2, 2012). Technologies evaluated were IBM InfoSphere BigInsights (IBM’s Hadoop-based offering), and IBM Netezza Analytics. In this evaluation, IBM was placed in the Leaders category of the Wave and achieved the highest possible score in both the Strategy and Market Presence segments. In the third segment, Current Offering, IBM received the second highest score. You can download the complete report here.
The report by analyst James Kobielus states, “IBM has the deepest Hadoop platform and application portfolio.”
We are pleased to receive what we believe is recognition of the effort we have put into bringing together a broad and deep big data platform. Our strategy is to deliver a comprehensive, enterprise-class portfolio of offerings for big data analytics, designed to help organizations get smarter. When it comes to addressing the “3 V’s” of big data – volume, velocity and variety – our platform offers four distinct advantages:
- Big data in real-time
- InfoSphere Streams is unlike anything else in the market in its ability to ingest, analyze and act on big data “in motion” – that is, data is processed and analyzed at microsecond latencies.
- Analytic engines designed to operate in the big data environment. These engines enable a variety of analyses as applied to logs, call data records, social media, customer sentiment, customer loyalty and more.
- Our Hadoop-based offering, BigInsights, provides the ability to analyze and extract information from a wide variety of data sources, promotes data exploration and discovery while extending the existing warehousing functions as an active archive.
- Our streams capability extends the warehousing, BigInsights and Information Integration by providing a real-time data processing and analytic platform that is key to operational intelligence applications.
- We have proven, high-performance warehouse capabilities in both software and appliance forms that allow for enterprise-class business intelligence and analytics.
- The Information Integration capabilities provide data transformation, governance and metadata management functions to warehousing, streaming and BigInsights.
- All these capabilities are made consumable by end users, administrators and application developers.
- We provide “accelerators,” over 100 sample applications harvested from the work we have done for specific use cases and customers. These are built into the product so our customers can spend time analyzing, not implementing.
- Our big data offerings include a growing list of connectors for key components, which helps customers quickly integrate into their enterprise infrastructure
Want to learn more?
- Download our book, “Understanding Big Data”, and learn more about our technologies.
- Get started with our no-charge version of InfoSphere BigInsights that you can download to your own cluster or run in the cloud.
- On the educational front, we provide free online training through BigDataUniversity.com. To date, more than 13,000 students have registered for courses on Hadoop, cloud computing and more.
As I said, we are proud to be recognized by Forrester as a leader in Enterprise Hadoop Solutions. We have worked with a broad range of clients, across all industries, to help them define their big data strategies, and we can do the same for you. We intend to keep pushing forward with our strategy to deliver even more and better technology, training and services to continue leading the market. I encourage you to download the full report and see for yourself how IBM measures up.
References The Forrester Wave™: Enterprise Hadoop Solutions, Q1 2012, Forrester Research, Inc., February 2, 2012. The Forrester Wave is copyrighted by Forrester Research, Inc. Forrester and Forrester Wave are trademarks of Forrester Research, Inc. The Forrester Wave is a graphical representation of Forrester’s call on a market and is plotted using a detailed spreadsheet with exposed scores, weightings, and comments. Forrester does not endorse any vendor, product, or service depicted in the Forrester Wave. Information is based on best available resources. Opinions reflect judgment at the time and are subject to change.
To effectively compete in today’s changing world, it is essential that companies leverage innovative technology to differentiate from competitors. Learn how you can do that and more in the Smarter Computing Analyst Paper from Hurwitz and Associates.