Businesses face a multitude of challenges. In order to achieve success in today’s competitive business environment, companies must have an agile IT infrastructure that allows them to respond to any obstacle that may arise. Business leaders rely on technology to securely run their core business processes, to provide analysis that will help them make better decisions and to facilitate a better customer experience. However, not all IT is created (or engineered) equally.
On August 28, 2012, IBM business and technical leaders announced the IBM zEnterprise EC12 (tune in to the launch webcast). IBM zEnterprise can help organizations overcome many of the challenges the modern world throws at them, from increasing their digital and mobile services to identifying security threats. This hybrid mainframe was designed to help clients deliver on key business initiatives that focus around trusted security and resiliency, operational analytics and efficiency at scale.
The result of a billion-dollar IBM investment in research and development with over 2,500 engineers worldwide, the IBM zEnterprise EC12 (zEC12):
- Boasts a 25% performance enhancement to handle millions of transactions per day, delivering response times of less than one second.
- Features 50% increased capacity over the previous zEnterprise system, so clients have room to grow and invest in new services.
- Offers cutting-edge cryptographic and analytics technologies to make it more intelligent, resilient and secure.
As the changing business landscape continues to demand more from IT infrastructures, companies can meet these challenges and grow their businesses at much lower costs. Consider this:
- A recent Rubin worldwide study (PDF) of nearly 500 companies shows that organizations using zEnterprise technology are saving up to 60% on their total IT infrastructure costs versus organizations that rely mainly on distributed servers.
- Eurocontrol—a European air-traffic controller—uses zEnterprise to reduce floor space by 80% and annual energy consumption by up to 58%, while realizing a 50% savings in software costs. (PDF)
The virtualization, scalability and manageability of the zEC12 make it the ideal platform for cloud deployments in a flexible, cost-effective environment. The zEC12′s cloud capabilities provide the efficiency at scale that businesses require to stay competitive. (For more on the history of virtualization on System z, see “40 Years of Virtualization.”)
What about data and the needs associated with analyzing it in real-time environments? SPSS Modeler 15 on zEnterprise can reveal true predictive analytics by scoring transactional data to incorporate the newest and most relevant information, as it’s received, directly into the decision-making process. This enables businesses to deliver an extraordinary customer experience with every transaction.
The zEC12 is also one of the world’s most secure enterprise platforms—offering clients unmatched security and resiliency with 24/7 (99.999%) availability. Enhanced security capabilities like Crypto Express 4S address the most stringent security requirements. To further extend its availability, IBM now offers zAware technology for zEnterprise. zAware is a self-learning system analytic solution that detects unusual system behavior in near real time. This helps organizations quickly pinpoint problems for faster resolution.
Watch this IBM zEnterprise EC12 overview and walk-through video with System z expert Nick Sardino to learn more technical details:
Stay tuned to the Smarter Computing blog for exciting information on zEnterprise EC12 from System z experts! Join the zEC12 webcast for additional information from both IBM and industry technical leaders.
To effectively compete in today’s changing world, it is essential that companies leverage innovative technology to differentiate from competitors. Learn how you can do that and more in the Smarter Computing Analyst Paper from Hurwitz and Associates.