A few months ago, I published a blog post entitled “IBM PureSystems: A cloud computing genie” on the Thoughts on Cloud blog. In that post I compared IBM PureSystems with a genie. This genie can solve a complex IT conundrum within the shortest time possible by offering:
- Built-in expertise
- Integration by design
- Simplified experience for the users
IBM PureSystems is a ready-to-run cloud in a box. PureSystems incorporates the flexibility of a general-purpose system, the elasticity of cloud and the simplicity of an appliance. It can unleash unprecedented computing power with its integrated and stacked software, hardware, middleware, networking components, management and built-in security. IBM PureSystems is so amazing that you could run a private cloud in as little as four hours with it.
Since I wrote my previous blog, the IBM PureSystems family has gotten bigger. The family members now include:
- PureFlex System
- PureApplication System
- PureData System
In this piece, I will present eleven technical facts about these family members.
IBM PureFlex System is an infrastructure as a service (IaaS) offering.
- IBM Flex System is the linchpin of PureFlex System. Flex System includes compute, storage, systems management and networking components.
- PureFlex System is a preconfigured and preintegrated infrastructure with integrated management and cloud capabilities. It comes with an x86 and Power hybrid solution. On the contrary, IBM Flex System offers a set of components like compute, storage, network and system management solutions to custom build a system according to specific requirements.
- Some of the benefits of PureFlex System or IBM Flex System include:
- Twice the application density in the same floor space
- Up to 40 percent energy cost reduction
- Up to 70 percent fewer cores than conventional and previous generation systems, resulting in reduced software licensing costs
- Unified management of compute, storage and networking reduces management costs up to 50 percent
- Integrated and automated storage provisioning in 98 percent less time
- Sixty-six percent faster setup time
- IBM PureFlex comes in three configurations: express, standard and enterprise. The table below summarizes the main technical specifications of these variants. This table has been compiled from the information available on the IBM PureFlex System website.
|IBM Flex System compute nodes||x86 or Power processor||x86 or Power processor||x86 or Power processor|
|IBM PureFlex System 42U Rack||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|IBM Flex System Enterprise Chassis||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Integrated 10 Gb networking switch||1||1||2 with choice of Features on Demand (FoD) upgrades for more ports and higher performance|
|Integrated 8 or 16 Gb Fibre Channel Switch||1||2||2|
|IBM Flex System Manager||Yes, with one year of service and support||Yes, including Advanced Option with three years of service and support||Yes, including Advanced Option with three years of service and support|
|Power supplies (std/max)||2/6||4/6||6/6|
|80 mm fans (std/max)||4/8||6/8||8/8|
|Chassis Management Modules (CMM)||2||2||2|
|Integrated IBM Flex System V7000 Storage Node||Yes (redundant controller)||Yes (redundant controller)||Yes (redundant controller)|
|IBM Flex System V7000 Storage Node software||Base with one-year software maintenance agreement||Base with three-year software maintenance agreement||Base with three-year software maintenance agreement|
|IBM PureFlex System services||9×5 hardware warranty with one microcode analysis service annually||24×7 technical support with one microcode analysis annually, and 9×5 account advocate services||24x7x4 technical support with two microcode analyses annually, and 24×7 account advocate services|
IBM PureApplication System offers platform as a service (PaaS). This is optimized and pre-integrated for a traditional or cloud environment. This platform has been designed and tuned for transactional web and database applications and provides a superior IT economics. PureApplication Systems can be easily managed, deployed, safeguarded and customized. Now let us look at some of the unique features.
- IBM PureApplication System utilizes unique patterns of expertise. There are three different kinds of IBM patterns of expertise:
- Application patterns
- Platform patterns
- Infrastructure patterns
- Infrastructure and platform patterns are built-in features of the system. Platform and application patterns can be either created by the users to suit their requirements or added to the system from a catalogue of patterns by IBM and partners.
- Some of the key benefits of PureApplication System are:
- PureApplication System can facilitate 20 to 30 times faster deployment time due to preintegrated deployment patterns.
- Infrastructure management cost and time can reduced up to 35 to 55 percent.
- Number of unplanned outages can be reduced by up to 90 percent or more by leveraging best practices and automation of manual processes identified as “outage culprits.”
- Built-in application elasticity allows scaling up or down automatically.
We have been noticing that digital data has been growing at a staggering rate. IBM PureData System has been optimized and designed for delivery data services to cope with the demands from applications and consumers of the data and to provide simplicity, speed and lower cost. So what is unique about this new family member? Let’s look at some of the features.
- PureData System demonstrates the property “built-in expertise” by providing
- Built-in best practices for each workload
- Automated pattern-based deployment and management of reliable and scalable database services
- Optimized hardware, storage and software capabilities demonstrate “integration by design.” One such example is the use of Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) for data filtering. This patented technology allows ultra-fast execution of analytic queries without the need of indices.
- PureData System facilitates “Simplified experience” by providing
- An integrated system without any need for assembly
- Interoperability with third-party software
- Unified management console
- Integrated system upgrades and maintenance
- PureData System comes in two flavors:
- PureData System for Transaction: this is designed and tuned for transactional data workloads
- PureData System for Analytics: this is designed and optimized for analytics and big data
In future blogs, I will focus on detailed technical information of each of the products in action.
Shamim Hossain is an experienced technical team leader and project manager leading a number of complex and global projects with involvement in the full project lifecycle ranging from planning, analysis, design, test and build through to deployment. He is an IBM Certified Cloud Solution Advisor and Cloud Solution Architect. You can reach him on Twitter @shamimshossain.
To effectively compete in today’s changing world, it is essential that companies leverage innovative technology to differentiate from competitors. Learn how you can do that and more in the Smarter Computing Analyst Paper from Hurwitz and Associates.