When a business virtualizes its storage infrastructure it opens up a whole new set of opportunities to manage its data more efficiently, saving cost and time. First let’s define what storage virtualization is:
Storage virtualization is the amalgamation of multiple network storage devices into what appears to be a single storage unit. (Source: Webopedia, 2013)
Storage virtualization groups together multiple storage devices under a single umbrella and then adds functionality to the entire group which can then be managed cohesively from one interface. It is a powerful tool that IBM has offered for more than ten years with the SAN Volume Controller (SVC) offering.
Back in October 2013 IBM announced the Storwize V5000, ideal for midsize organizations. The Storwize V5000 offers external storage virtualization as an option, is based on the innovative Storwize architecture and has the following features:
- Integrated features such as internal virtualization, thin provisioning, data migration and system clustering
- Optional features like external virtualization, FlashCopy and remote mirroring for backup, and IBM Easy Tier for automated data placement
- Capacity up to 168 drives per control enclosure (up to 6 expansions) and 336 per clustered system (two-way clustering)
Clients benefit in these ways:
- Simplified management with an industry-leading Graphical User Interface (GUI)
- Performance boost up to three times using only five percent flash storage with optional IBM Easy Tier software that automatically places data on the best storage tier
- Extend capabilities to existing storage infrastructures (IBM and non-IBM) using external virtualization
- Increased disk utilization and reduced costs with built-in thin provisioning
- An easily customized storage system with flexible software options
- Deploy a cloud ready storage system with built-in support for OpenStack
- 99.999% availability with reliable Storwize architecture
With the IBM Storwize platform you can buy only as much storage as you need, knowing that systems can scale easily in performance and capacity as your business grows. It allows you to start quickly and add value to improve the economics of your IT infrastructure. Plus it lays the foundation for cloud computing, which uses virtualized computing resources for more flexibility and quicker deployment of resources.
Storwize V5000 brings the power of virtualized computing to businesses that need to manage their IT costs more efficiently but that also know the importance of using technology to accomplish this.
Take a look at this infographic and leave a comment below:
Sal DiNatale is Marketing Manager for IBM System Storage. He is focused on communicating the economic and business benefits that clients can realize from the IBM System Storage portfolio. He works on the global marketing team to integrate IBM storage solutions with key growth initiatives such as cloud, big data and mobile.
To effectively compete in today’s changing world, it is essential that companies leverage innovative technology to differentiate from competitors. Learn how you can do that and more in the Smarter Computing Analyst Paper from Hurwitz and Associates.